Deploy or Upgrade Usage Metering (if necessary)
The usage_metering probe scans your UIM environment to identify the devices you are monitoring. The results are retrieved by the billing probe, which must reside on the same robot as usage_metering.
If usage_metering is already deployed in your UIM environment, you do not need to upgrade. Older versions of the UM probe are compatible with the new process and will provide consistent data for the billing probe. However, CA recommends that you upgrade all instances of the probe to version 8.0 or later to take advantage of performance improvements.
If you need to:
- Upgrade usage_metering, deactivate the billing and usage_metering probes before you upgrade.
- Deploy usage_metering, consider the following:
- An instance of usage_metering must reside on the same robot as the billing probe. This is called the primary instance.
- The probe must perform DNS resolution to uniquely identify a probe's device references. In many cases, the DNS needed to correctly resolve a device reference is not available to the primary instance. To address this, deploy a secondary instance to a hub that can access a DNS.
- Once usage_metering is deployed, no further configuration is required. Optional configuration (setup parameters, viewing reportsviewing, probe status, etc.)
For more information on usage_metering, refer to the usage_metering Infrastructure Manager probe configuration document in the UIM documentation library.
Deploy or Upgrade Billing
The billing probe collects usage item data from usage_metering, then performs the calculations required to generate a billing report.
If billing is has not been deployed or upgraded, deploy billing 8.0. In most environments, billing is deployed to the primary hub; however, it can be deployed to a secondary hub. For more information, refer to the Infrastructure Manager billing probe configuration document in the UIM documentation library.
Note the following:
- Older versions required you to import a subscription file. This is no longer required. The latest subscription files are packaged with the new version and are used automatically.
- As of version 8.0, the billing probe either retrieves the customer name from the webgtw probe or derives it from a legacy billing report. If webgtw is not active and no legacy reports exist, you will need to manually enter the customer name in the report header.
- In most environments, billing is deployed to the primary hub; however, it can be deployed to a secondary hub. See the billing probe configuration document for more information.
- Configuration is not required. By default, the probe runs at 2:00 AM local time once per week, and again on the first day of each month to generate the report for the prior month.
- Billing 8.0 is configured with the Raw Configure utility. To configure earlier versions, use Infrastructure Manager. Configuration via Admin Console will be available in a future release.
- In a future version, CA plans to have webgtw post an informational alarm when the billing report is sent. This notification audit the report by viewing the file saved on the file system, and if desired contact the Sales Account Rep to discuss the findings. In the mean time you will need to use your favorite means of reminding yourself to review the published reports.
Copyright © 2014 CA Technologies.
All rights reserved.